Looking for a romantic getaway this Valentine’s day? A moonlight stroll down a beautiful beach might be just the ticket! Coronado Beach is #6 in Coastal Livings list of the top 10 most romantic beaches.
On the west coast of California, you’ll find Coronado. One of the most photographed landmarks in Coronado is the iconic Hotel del Coronado, featured in Marilyn Monroe’s 1958 film “Some Like it Hot.” Coronado’s history dates back to 1885 with the purchase of a one-time Spanish rancho that spanned Coronado, North Island and the Silver Strand. The expanse of property was purchased for a mere $110,000. The owner’s vision was to establish “the grandest hotel on the Pacific coast” set within a master-planned community featuring wide avenues, parkland, handsome public buildings, and attractive beach side residences. Coronado beach is the quintessential San Diego postcard experience and a great place for a romantic getaway or a fun-filled family beach vacation. Fellow Magpie’s will especially appreciate the long sandy beaches of Coronado because they literally sparkle, thanks to the mineral mica in its golden sand!
Besides taking a walk along the glimmering sand, some of the other popular beach activities include surfing, paddle boarding, boogie boarding, beach volleyball and sunbathing. You can also spot a tiny treasure by exploring tidepools during low tide at Coronado Central Beach. In the evening, grab a blanket and stargaze while making s’mores at one of the many fire pits located right on the beach.
The beaches of Coronado
- Coronado Central Beach runs along Ocean Boulevard with a backdrop backdrop of fine homes and mansions and the Hotel del Coronado at the southern end.
- Does your beach partner have four legs? No problem! North Beach is a great dog-friendly option.
- Glorietta Bay offers a unique view of the Glorietta Bay Hotel and the San Diego-Coronado Bridge. With a large grass-filled park, restrooms, playground equipment, and a small beach area, Glorietta Bay Beach is a great beach for families.
- Silver Strand State Beach is located 4.5 miles south of Coronado Village along the Silver Strand. An underpass allows access to bayside beach and picnic areas and Loews Coronado Bay Resort.
- Ferry Landing Marketplace offers a sandy beach area adjacent to fishing/ferry pier. With a grassy lawn and sweeping views of San Diego Bay, this is a great place to take in views of downtown San Diego while enjoying the tranquil waters of the bay.
You can reach the island by car via a drive across the 200-foot tall Coronado bridge. For a less conventional start, take a nostalgic 15-minute ferry ride across the bay from San Diego. The Ferry departs from two locations; Broadway Pier and the Convention Center. Departure and Landing in Coronado is at 1201 First Street. The ferry charges $4.75 each way, kids under 4 are free. The Ferry is accessible to wheelchairs and bikes are permitted.
After a day at the beach, take stroll along Orange Avenue shops and restaurants, and enjoy a pint of local suds at the award-winning Coronado Brewing. Coronado has been called a “Walkers Paradise” but you can also bike the island. There are multiple scenic paths that run along the bay, under the San Diego-Coronado bridge and even along part of the California scenic highway. Looking for something a bit less physical? You can even rent a golf cart for your day of site seeing!
Reservations are one of my favorite things on vacation and if you’re a seafood lover, than you are in for a treat! There are beautiful restaurants, some beach side, just waiting for you to step on in. Try II Fornaio, Bluewater Boathouse, Peohe’s, Sheerwater, 1500 Ocean, or brunch at the Crown Room at the historic Hotel del Coronado. You can find fancy or casual for your date night so take along some fun sandals or sexy strappies and your favorite sundress. My Sea Sparkle Aquamarine layering bracelets are the perfect accessory to complete your look. The Swarvoski crystals in each bracelet sparkle under the patio lights promising another special evening. The set of three layering bracelets make it easy to pack while giving you 4 great looks by wearing them individually or all-together.
Whether you go to Coronado Beach for the sand, surf, or seafood you will fall in love with its history and beauty. San Diego’s year round beautiful weather is also sure to please, so even the worst day in Cali is better than the best day at work. Be sure to let me know if you visit and what your favorite moment was, because after all, life’s all about the moments.